Thursday, May 19, 2011

Listen to the Wise

Although I use lots of newer training methods, the old ways are often just as good. Delmar Smith was a well known trainer and about as eccentric as they come. I still use many of his concepts. He allowed puppies to take walks and experience the world, without rules and restrictions. Puppies develop confidence and desire, without being pushed.  "Happy Timing" remains a part of my training program and I continue with the daily walks and romps for many months. Just get out and have fun. Learn about the world, and learn to love it. It's as good for my own soul as it is for their learning!  He also uses a process he called, "getting the boogeries out." He places slip knotted ropes on each puppy and allows them to play with each other. The puppies tug and pull each other around and those ropes are oh so tempting. This MUST BE SUPERVISED WELL, but it is fantastic at helping puppies overcome fear and panic with collars and leads. They learn to give to the leash when it gets tight, and that panic does not help. Still, despite this help, most puppies will still fight the leash when they want something they can not reach, but they seem to learn faster and adapt more easily when they have have had Delmar's "Boogeries" method. I feel like I should put "" around the word method also, but I will resist.

Happy Timing


Boogeries

No comments:

Post a Comment